Saturday, October 7, 2017

The day I fell for her

Three years ago today, The Queen Of The World and I were on a motorcycle trip to the beach. We'd only been dating a few weeks, and she was fun (and pretty as a picture), so off we went.

It ended in an accident. The bike went down fast, and hard. I broke a lot of bones and was in the ICU for days. Fortunately the fall didn't hurt her badly.

But I was the lucky one, because over the next few days I saw what an extraordinary woman she was. She arranged a rental car and trailer, got the bike loaded, and got the (very drugged up on pain killers) Borepatch home. And then took care of me for the weeks it took me to heal.

She could have run from a suddenly high maintenance (and often grumpy and rarely much fun) Borepatch. She didn't.

It was an unusual experience for me to be wrapped up in unconditional love and care. A nice experience. REALLY nice.

Unconditional, even when I was stubborn and dumb, like trying to get back in the saddle before I was capable, like trying to drive the manual shift Jeep with my arm in a sling. To this day I've never seen her as angry. She knew I would hurt myself, which I did. In her mind I was under her care, and I was messing myself up because of hard headedness. She hated to see me hurt myself.

And so I realized that I hadn't fallen three feet that day, I'd fallen hopelessly in love with an extraordinary woman. Sure she was fun (and pretty as a picture), but she also was fiercely loyal and had a spine of tempered steel. I didn't stand a chance, and quite frankly would have had to have been the biggest fool on earth to let her get away.

Three years later we're coming up on our second wedding anniversary. That was sure a lucky fall, one that opened my eyes to the amazing woman who was right in front of me.

10 comments:

taminator013 said...

You are a very lucky man. I've had mine for a bit over 45 years now and coming up on 44 years married. I hope that you get to spend at least as long with yours as I have with mine.........

Walter Zoomie said...

Congrats, buddy. A truly good and virtuous woman is a treasure.

Home on the Range said...

I'm glad some good came of that fall and yes, she is indeed special. You are both very blessed.

LindaG said...

Congratulations! May God bless you with many happy years together.

Rich in NC said...

Good for you AND 'The Queen of The World'. Congratulations.

Murphy(AZ) said...

I envy you your treasure, young man.

Eagle said...

Congratulations! I know how you feel and consider myself as lucky as well. Married 38 years to a wonderful woman who has seen me go down a couple of times, is madder than heck when I try to get back in the saddle before I'm truly ready, and is the first to say "Let's go for a ride" when I'm healthy.

"She who must be obeyed" has unending patience for me and my (sometimes) idiocy.

libertyman said...

Well, it is called falling in love...

Jester said...

I'm glad for you. I had a bit of a similar experience the past two weeks. My brother killed himself and my own better half has been taking care of me when I did not even realize I needed it and has just been there for me in ways I've not been able to quantify. I'm glad for you again Borepatch.

Borepatch said...

Jester, I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's a good thing you have Mrs. Jester there with you.