Saturday, October 29, 2016

The eloquence of grief

Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak knits up the o-er wrought heart and bids it break.
- William Shakespeare, Macbeth

You will not see a greater story of loss and, well, triumph of the spirit than this.  It is a terrible and glorious ode to a life fully lived.  The Great Questions are ever before us: What is it fully to be human, as God and we would wish?  What is it to live the Good Life?  What is it to leave that Good Life?

Fred Stobaugh answers these questions.



They were together for 75 years.  When she died, he wrote his first song.  For her, and him. And them.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;I feel it when I sorrow most;'Tis better to have loved and lost 
Than never to have loved at all.
- Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam
Hat tip: American Digest.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Wow... Just... Wow.

selsey.steve said...

I'll write a proper response when I've got this mote out of my eye.