Thursday, February 18, 2016

The New York Times thinks that Hillary is toast

Maureen Dowd has a column in the NYT: When Hillary Clinton killed feminism.  Given Hillary's "Vote for me - I have Lady Parts" campaign, this is enormously damaging to Clinton's position.

The NYT is famously left of center, so the question is what gives?  Michael Hiteshew at ChicagoBoyz examines the situation:
I’m stunned I read this call-out of the Clinton’s hypocrisy in the NYT of all places from none other than Maureen Dowd. This is tectonic and tells us the ground has just shifted on the left. That says a few things:
  1. The NYT in general and Maureen Dowd in particular no longer fear the Clinton’s power nor feel they will be punished for disloyalty by a Hillary Clinton administration. Because…
  2. The NYT in general and Maureen Dowd in particular no longer see a Hillary Clinton administration as a probability. They know the Hillary campaign is in flames and will only get worse.
I'd also add that the left has never really liked her.  Obama ran away with the nomination in 2008 in large part because of this.  Sure, the Clintons had a ton of money and that bought a certain loyalty, but Hillary wasn't liked in the same way that Bill was.  As soon as there was a viable alternative, the preference cascade began.

It looks like it's begun again, and even the NYT recognizes that.

4 comments:

Comrade Misfit said...

The NYT's being "left of center" is an old bit. Problem is, on a lot of things, it's no longer really true. They were the #1 Cheerleader for the Iraq War. And they've pretty much adopted the Republican spin for the Supreme Court vacancy.

Take away their hatred of guns in private hands and they could be a Murdoch rag.

Weetabix said...

The name, "Maureen Dowd", itself sets my teeth on edge. It's stunning to me that she would take this stand.

But I'm still not going to read her column. I don't need the high blood pressure.

Lawrence Person said...

Little different take: Dowd pretty much made her bones tearing into the Clintons during the 1990s, and it's one of the few areas she's competent in. (She's hopelessly clueless and out of her depths when analyzing the right.) The Dowd column cited is interesting and informative, but probably doesn't herald any great shift among the liberal MSM, who think that Hillary is a crook, but their crook...

abnormalist said...

So, I'm Left, and I've never liked Hillary (I disliked her before it was cool)

I never expected Bernie to get the momentum going he seems to be showing, but I refuse to underestimate the Clinton political machine. Though the campaign tactic of "If you're a woman you have to vote for me!" reminds me very much of the John Kerry "Vote for me, I'm not Bush. I'm showing all the personality and campaign of wet cardboard, but I'm not Bush!"

What really impresses me though, is how scared everyone is of Bernie... I've seen the Facebook campaign items about how "When they were both in the senate Hillary and Bernie voted together 93% of the time so, lets support our candidate no matter who he or she is" stuff. Yep, for the 2 years they shared the senate, where Hillary attended less than 50% of the votes... Hmmm, I wonder whos trying to up their cred there....