Saturday, February 13, 2016

Pool table assembly

It's under way at Castle Borepatch.  This is actually the third time I've done this, and it's surprisingly easy to do.  Other than putting the slate on the frame, it's a one man job.*

The trick is levelling the frame before you put the slate on.  When I first bought the table, I watched the guys who set it up and learned their secret - playing cards.  You keep adding cards one or two at a time between the frame and the legs until the whole thing is level.  I have two mason's levels (extra long levels) plus a normal sized one, and so this really didn't take too long.  Then bolt everything together.

I was dumb when I took the table apart at Camp Borepatch, because I folded the felt up.  Yeah, they say to replace the felt when you move the table but this is because most pool tables get moved once in a blue moon.  I only set up the table around 18 months ago, and the felt was brand new.  So I ironed it to get the creases out and it looks fine.

But the design and engineering of a pool table is really straight forward.  All you need to put it together is a ratchet set for the bolts, a screwdriver for the side pieces (and screwing down the slate), and a staple gun to make sure that the felt is taught.

And I didn't need a dining room anyway - actually, both the Queen Of The World and I like having the pool table there instead.

* Needless to say, I did the slate by myself, too.  Not sure that I'll do that again.

7 comments:

doubletrouble said...

Nice- a good table is a grand thing.
BTW, what did you teach the felt?

Eagle said...

A nice thick plexiglass cover will turn it into a dining room table real quick.

Will said...

If you make a cover for it, I suggest that you make it with downturn edges, so any spills do not reach the underside of the cover, and thus completely protect the pool table.

2cents said...

What are you talking about? A fancy eatin' table is perfect for the dining room.

Borepatch said...

Doubletrouble, that's a work in progress. Like the English say is the secret to a good lawn: fertilize and roll spring and fall for 200 years ...

;-)

Mrs. Bitchpatch #1 said...

I do miss my cutting table.

Mrs. Bitchpatch #1 said...

I get it, Castle for your queen. Nice. I guess all I got was a tent at the camp.