Saturday, October 17, 2015

Trace Adkins - Arlington

I was in the Washington D.C. area last week and had a couple of hours at the end of yesterday before I had to be at Reagan airport.  Well, the George Washington Parkway runs right past Arlington National Cemetery, and I'd never been.  And so I went.


This is hallowed ground, and feels like it.  Everywhere you look there's a sense of being surrounded by something much bigger than yourself.  And it's not a museum:


A chill ran up my spine when I saw everyone move out of the street and stand silently as this passed.  It's quiet - there was no hubbub from the crowd, and so can hear a 21 gun salute.  This is a place with a mission.  A hallowed mission.
And every time I hear, twenty-one guns,
I know they brought another hero home, to us.
This is worth a visit.  The heroes tell us much about them, and us.

With seven of his men struck down during the furious action and he, himself, wounded in the head by a bursting grenade, he made his way to his company's position and, organizing a small group of volunteers, returned with them to evacuate the wounded and dying from the frozen hillside, staunchly refusing medical attention himself. Immediately redeploying the remainder of his troops, Staff Sergeant WINDRICH placed them on the left flank of the defensive sector before the enemy again attacked in force. Wounded in the leg during the bitter fight that followed, he bravely fought on with his men, shouting words of encouragement and directing their fire until the attack was repelled. Refusing evacuation although unable to stand, he still continued to direct his platoon in setting up defensive positions until, weakened by the bitter cold, excessive loss of blood and severe pain, he lapsed into unconsciousness and died.



Arlington (Songwriters: Jeremy Spillman, Dave Turnbull)
I never thought that this is where I'd settle down,
I thought I'd die an old man back in my hometown,
They gave me this plot of land, me and some other men,
for a job well done.

There's a big white house sits on a hill just up the road,
The man inside he cried the day they brought me home,
They folded up a flag, and told my mom and dad, 'We're proud of your son'.

And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property,
I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company,
I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done,
I can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen ones,
I made it to Arlington.

I remember daddy brought me here when I was eight,
We searched all day to find out where my granddad lay,
And when we finally found that cross,
He said, 'Son this is what it cost, to keep us free'.
Now here I am a thousand stones away from him,
He recognized me on the first day I came in,
And it gave me a chill, when he clicked his heels, and saluted me.

And I'm proud to be on this peaceful piece of property,
I'm on sacred ground and I'm in the best of company,
And I'm thankful for those thankful for the things I've done,
I can rest in peace, I'm one of the chosen ones,
I made it to Arlington.

And every time I hear, twenty-one guns,
I know they brought another hero home, to us.

We're thankful for those thankful for the things we've done,
We can rest in peace, 'cause we were the chosen ones,
We made it to Arlington, yea, dust to dust
Don't cry for us, we made it to Arlington.

2 comments:

2cents said...

Time out. "I'd never been there"!!!? How long did you live there!!!? You should be ashamed.

pigpen51 said...

My heart is heavy with the thought that our country is full of politicians who know not the sacrifice of war. A country now run by men and women who share not the burden of having laid upon down the gauntlet of their lives and then, having withstood the challenge, picked it up again, only to vow, that, before they asked another to do the same, they would kneel before God Himself, in humility, and ask for guidance, for strength, and safety for those who he would send into harms way, on behalf of this nation.

I have also never been to Arlington, but I have seen men and women who have fought and died for our nation. I pray our nation may one day again be worthy of their sacrifice.