Friday, September 5, 2014

Kilted To Kick Cancer - Day 5: Butts in Kilts!

My Sister-From-Another-Mother Brigid was kind enough to put up a post at her place that really drives home what this fundraiser is about.  Being smarter than I, she lead the post with a picture of a lovely butt in a kilt.  Now I may be a slow learner, but you don't have to kick me twice, so without further ado, butts in kilts!


But as with all her posts, there is a story that will tug at your heart.  And so I want to talk about the day that Dad called me and said that he wasn't going to do another round of chemo, but instead was going into hospice.  I wrote obliquely about it at the time.

The Taxotere almost killed him, and he didn't think he could handle another round.  The doctors didn't think that anything less powerful would handle the cancer which had spread aggressively by then.  It was his third round with Prostate Cancer, and each time it came back stronger.

And so he told me that he was settling in to hospice to go in an orderly and dignified manner that would have been well known to the Stoic philosophers of old.

Me, I've never been accused of being a philosopher, or even a stoic.  The pure anger - crystalinely pure - simply consumed me.  This was a good man, a great father, great husband, respected by his peers and adored by his grandchildren.

And he was going to go quietly into that Dark Night.  That is what this fundraiser is all about.  That's why all of us are putting our dignity on the line, so that research can find a cure that will let these good men live.  I'm all in on this - you want dignity on the line?  OK, here you go:


Hawt, eh?  But that's not the point.  Please click through to donate to this cause.  It's fully tax deductible, as a 501(c)3 charity.  The Donate link is here, and please select Team Borepatch.

And if you click through to read Brigid's post you'll see why she is also invested in this - her Dad is fighting that same fight right now.  She is so invested that she's made an enormously generous offer: the first twenty donations of $50 or more via Team Borepatch will receive an autographed copy of her amazing The Book Of Barkley.


Send a screen shot of your Paypal receipt for your donation to borepatch at gmail dot com, along with your snail mail address and we will do the rest.  Remember, while the competition and the goofing are all in good fun, there's a method to our madness, and a reason for this season.



I miss you, Dad.  We'll see what we can do about this.  And I can hear you laughing about my kilted butt.

1 comment:

Sugar Lips said...

the kilt stuff is great Borepatch, but that lovely picture of your Dad is priceless, WOW... makes all this worth it.

and okay, i'll admit it wouldn't exactly make me mad to see kilt worthy men all around, i mean for a good cause, ahem, you know. ; )

p.s. most men are kilt worthy, they just haven't tried it!