Thursday, December 12, 2013

One Ring to geek them all

I'm a bit speechless here:
A new smart ring which displays the time and alerts from the user’s phone has been getting the interwebs all in a flutter this week.

Smarty Ring was the brainchild of Chennai-based mechatronics engineer Ashok Kumar, according to CBC News.

.
A flashy web site offering pre-orders explains that the smart jewellery is compatible with any Bluetooth 4.0-enabled iOS or Android smartphone.

As well as displaying the time in LED lighting, it apparently provides alerts for calls, texts, emails and social media updates via a set of flashing icons.
It also says "I've never kissed a girl".  There's a video if you click through, if you want to watch the whole train wreck.

4 comments:

Dave H said...

I'm waiting for implantable devices myself.

Eagle said...

Hey Dave?

Too late!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/right-click/biohacker-gets-computer-chip-implant-transmits-body-stats-210716194.html

Oh. My. Gawd.

Goober said...

Egg-head boys
With thin, white legs
They’ve got modified features
And software brains
But that’s what the girls like:
The geeks were right!

When I saw the future
The geeks were right!

Siege said...

I don't think I'd be able to use it even if I got one, my fingers aren't small enough. That said, if they can put the tech to make that into a watch that isn't huge and ugly as sin, it seems like it'd be useful. I hate having to pull my phone out to pause or tell it to trigger the voice dial or what have you when I've got a headset in.