Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A retrospective, and a look forward

There's no easy way to get your most widely read posts out of Blogger.  Well, actually there is, but only for daily, monthly, or all time - there's no way to say "show me the 10 most popular posts of 2013".  And so I can't, even though it's been an interesting year.

This has also been an odd year, and next year is looking to be even more "interesting".  I'm now at the point where I'll choose "happy" over "interesting" anytime, but that will likely take a while.  And so here's looking forward to 2014, with its good and bad.  Google stats tell me I'll probably get a million page views this year - I'm reliably running 80k+ a month for a while.

On the down side, I expect that #1 Son will leave the nest this year.  He may not be the only one.

But I'll have a new motorcycle come spring, or there'll be hell to pay when Uncle Jay comes by.  And there's a lesson in that - Janus looks both directions, to the past and the future.  Looking to the past comes naturally to a student of history (and a sentimental old fool) like me; looking towards the future oft times comes from your friends.

That actually makes my head hurt a bit.  And so from all of us to all of you, we wish you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year.

And if you're out tonight be sensible (or get a taxi, which is sensible).  I'd like to see you back here tomorrow. 

4 comments:

Dave H said...

Happy New Year, Borepatch. We'll get 'em next time.

Goober said...

Mrs. Goober enrolled us in some black tie charity event for kids with cancer.

I got a tuxedo and everything. Feels sort of funny to dress up when you're me - I am much more comfortable in a pair of dungarees hiking around in the backwoods than rubbing elbows with the rich and famous of the inland northwest.

Mrs. Goober needs some time out, though, so I splurged a bit. Got us a table at one of those "OHMYGOD YOU GOT A TABLE THERE!" type restaurants and booked us a limo for the night.

Better safe than sorry.

Home on the Range said...

May 2014 be less "interesting" and more happy. Thanks for all the chats on the phone during the year, so we can stay caught up.

Borepatch said...

Dave H, back at 'cha.

Goober, well done. Well done indeed.

Brigid, your friendship is something that I always look forwards to in a new year.