Sunday, July 28, 2013

Konstantin Derzhavin - Gayaneh Suite

Ballet is an evolving art form.  Today's ballet by the Soviet era composer Konstantin Derzhavin has an unusual set of ballerinas.  Or no ballerinas at all, depending on how you look at things.

Today #2 Son and I fly to Las Vegas.  Me, I'm going to the Black Hat security conference, likely the most important security gathering on the Planet.  He's coming with me because he's been dying to see Vegas ever since I took #1 Son to the same conference in '06.  He'll hang out by the pool until I get back, and then instead of going to all the parties thrown by the security vendors, he and I will see the sights.

Including the fountains at the Bellagio Hotel, which are sui generis.  #1 Son and I spent an entire evening there; we'd stopped by to see one of the fountain shows and had been absolutely mesmerized.  The water - in the case of today's piece, ballerinas - combines with the music in a way that creates a completely different mood for each different performance.  The run every 15 minutes, and span the range from country to show tunes to classical.  If implemented by second rate choreographers it would be cringeworthy.  Instead, it is nothing short of sublime.

And so today's video, recorded on a smartphone, rises to the level of High Art.  A ballet by a dirty commie composer, a ballet with no ballerinas, staged at the city that most exemplifies unbridled capitalism.  Awesome.


3 comments:

Old NFO said...

And mesmerizing too! :-)

Unknown said...

Mesmerizing is right!

Got to admit that while this was going on, somewhere in the back of my head I was speculating about the programming required to produce a show like this, and wondering about the maintenance of the fountains themselves.

Which means that the Bellagio fountains push at least two of my geek buttons. :D

libertyman said...

Great post. About the only reason I can think of to go to Las Vegas.