Saturday, July 27, 2013

Ginger bourbon

Because I love* y'all so much, this is a surprisingly good enhancement to cheap-n-decent bourbon whiskey.  Remember, use decent-n-cheap bourbon, and not the top shelf spendy stuff, because otherwise why did you spend the spendy on it?

Ingredients:
One thumbnail sized piece of ginger root, peeled

Ice

Decent, inexpensive Bourbon Whiskey.  I think that W. L. Weller is a great price/performance leader for inexpensive-n-good bourbon,  It's around $12/fifth in these parts.
Procedure:
Roughly chop the ginger root, and then crush in a mortar and pestle.  If you don't have one of these, you can take a (clean) brick from your yard and whale on it until it's, well, crushed

Fill an Old Fashioned glass (half height cocktail glass) with ice

Toss in the ginger root mush and shards

Fill with an ounce and a half of your bourbon
Swirl to combine.  Let sit 5 minutes to steep, and serve to a skeptical but soon-to-be-adoring public.

* Platonically, of course.

6 comments:

Dave H said...

Now that sounds right tasty. I loves me some ginger. I think I'll have to give that a try.

I made ginger mead a few years ago that was very good, if I do say so myself. It'd warm you up on a cold winter night. It takes quite a bit longer to make though.

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind that trade in ginger is highly illegal in those regions of Tosev 3 controlled by the Race.... ;-)

Rob K said...

Bourbon is always good in ginger ale, so it's no surprise it would be good with ginger.

Weller, being a wheater, will benefit more from the extra spice imparted by the ginger. A high rye recipe like Old Grand Dad, or a straight rye, will stand up to it more.

Brad_in_IL said...

Bob K.,
I like gingerale and Johnny Walker Red. That's a good drink.

Anonymous said...

Maker's Mark.
Even w/o the ginger...

gfa

Ken said...

Huh. That sounds...really good, actually.