Sunday, April 28, 2013

What I did with my afternoon

I found myself teaching #1 Son computer security this rainy afternoon.  A bit unexpected, that.  It came from a conversation we had when I got back from my last business trip.  I don't much like traveling anymore - not only do I remember when traveling was a lot more glamorous that the TSA makes it these days, but I've spent far too much time away from the home and family.  #1 Son, however, is a bit enamored of the whole bit of business travel.

And so we talked about how you land yourself a consulting gig.  Basically, it boils down to whether you have mad skillz that are in demand; if you do, then the money is good as long as you don't mind being on the road.  And I mentioned that people are having trouble getting Internet Security guys.  His ears pricked up.

And so I found myself going through the CyberPatriot learning materials, which are a pretty good place to start.  Add in some hands on with VMWare images, a little metasploit and wireshark, and you have the core of what someone would need to know.  Next drill down may be Cisco CNE or Microsoft certification.

What's interesting is that he's all of a sudden gotten the idea (a year and a half into College) that having skills that are in demand would be A Good Thing for him personally.  What's also interesting is to have him listening attentively as I taught him the basics.  I guess his Old Man learned kind of a lot in the last five years ...

6 comments:

drjim said...

Wireshark should be in everybody's toolbox.

EtherApe is good, too, but I don't know if it runs on Windoze....

Phil said...

GodMode=Awesome!
Thank you!

Opinionated Grump (Rich in NC) said...

ahhh.... your son, too is now leaving
"The Age of Infinite Wisdom ®"
that time between the beginning of the teen years, when parents have NO CLUE and about 19-22 or so when, as you said they've learned a lot in the last few years.
Good for both of you, he's growing up and you helped.

R.K. Brumbelow said...

Astalavista is not a bad place to have him hang around either.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness he's interested and teachable. I fix the same computers all the time, for the same people, and I tell them the same thing every time. They never listen.

Kali Linux looks pretty groovy as far as security goes. Don't see a Live Distro, may build one and see how it works.

observer said...

You have done well.