Sunday, April 14, 2013

Musings on Renaissance Festivals

There are lots of people who dress up (including #2 Son).  Most of the really good costumes are worn by people who work there, but not all.  You even see entire families in costume.

There are more corsets per acre here than probably any other place on earth.  Kilts are well represented as well. 

Chocolate covered bacon was a bit of a disappointment.  That rather took me by surprise.

I expect that JayG would be fun to go to a Ren Faire with.  I might even break down and get a kilt if he wore his.  I'd need to work out for a couple months before going though - the kilted men seemed to fall into two categories - fit and good looking, and out of shape and not good looking.

Not all of the best looking costumed people seem to work there. 

There's a lot of overpriced junk for sale.  There's what look to be pretty high quality swords and knives if you look.  They're not at all cheap.

The shows are almost universally very funny.  A lot of the vendors are as funny.

Yesterday was opening day, and was packed.  It took 2 hours (!!!) to get out of the parking lot.

6 comments:

Bob said...

My favorite entertainers at RenFest are Don Juan & Miguel, the Comic Duellists. Hope they were at your local fest, they are hilarious.

Re: weapons, I just acquired a poignard from Museum Replicas, I'm quite happy with it. I also have a friend who is a knife/swordsmith, and I have several of his pieces.

I think if I were to set up in a RenFest costume I'd go as a leper in rags with a clapper and begging bowl, and yell UNCLEAN! every couple of minutes. I'd probably be evicted after about ten minutes.

Chris said...

I've been to the Renaissance Fairs in both Maryland and Pennsylvania. I am not one of the people who dress up, as I would definitely fall into the category of "not good looking". And back when I was, I still didn't have any desire to go in costume.

Agreed, much of the stuff for sale is of less than good quality, but if you know what to look for, it can be had, at a price.

RabidAlien said...

Scarborough RenFest just opened up here in the DFW area. We may try to get the family out that way this year sometime (not dressed up, unfortunately...although I have some ideas for a steampunk outfit that I'd love to wear to a renfest).

Ded Bob is probably my favorite of all the fest performers.

@Bob: last time the wife and I went to Scarborough RenFest, she had to make a pit-stop immediately after entering the grounds (long drive from our house). Outside, where people were milling about, was a guy dressed as a beggar. Shredded clothes, hands/feet shaded towards black, he was sawing (badly) on a beat up fiddle with only two strings, dancing and shuffling a small metal pot around. People were tossing bills and coinage into the pot for him. He caught my eye, and danced over...I looked at him, said "hey, thanks!" and reached for his pot...the look he gave me was priceless! I don't think he'd had anyone go that route with him before, 'cuz he smiled and nodded at me as the wife and I walked off.

Anonymous said...

Darn, we just missed the Renaissance Festival when we visited last year. I have some great memories of it, and wanted to show it to the next generations. We don't have anything quite comparable where we're living now...

Laura said...

i used to buy season passes to the Faire in Maryland. have yet to make it up to the PA Faire. used to go in costume every year, too.

for weaponry...most of it is Chinese-origin junk, but we have two weaponsmakers that do some gorgeous custom work.

our Fair has lots of handcrafted stuff...not sure how yours is in comparison, but much of that merch is really well made.

Eseell said...

There are more corsets per acre here than probably any other place on earth.

Ah, yes. The Faire is truly a magical place. Ours ended just last month, and it seemed like every geek I knew chose the same weekend to go. My merry band of miscreants couldn't go more than a few steps without meeting someone one or all of us knew.

I don't usually look at the weapons at our faire - they're pretty but rarely functional, and I don't buy non-functional - but there are some amazing leather workers and armorers in town.

My favorite show this year was Cast In Bronze, but I'm a closet music nerd. And I spent most of the show thinking about how it might be possible to improve his rig mechanically without sacrificing the sound.