Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The first blues song

This is said to the the first copyrighted blues song.  It may be the first record by an African American band, back in 1918.



It sounds more like jazz/ragtime to my ears, at least.  But this recording was before Hart Wand added lyrics to his song:

There's a place I know, folks won't pass me by,
Dallas, Texas, that's the town, I cry, oh hear me cry.
And I'm going back, going back to stay there 'til I die, until I die.
And suddenly, unmistakeably, it's the blues.

4 comments:

Glenn B said...

Livery Stable Blues came out on the Victor label in 1917. Not by a black band but probably was copyrighted and thus likely beat the other one by a year or so. Liberty Stable Blues was considered a jazz song with the word "blues" in the name, same as the one you mentioned. Both are obviously jazz songs.

Borepatch said...

Glenn, I should have pointed out in my post that the song was copyrighted in 1912. Seems it was written earlier.

WoFat said...

Sounds like a few - very few - places in New Orleans.

Chas S. Clifton said...

Record labels sometimes used to label music by black artists as "blues" whether it fit the current definition or not.