Friday, May 18, 2012

Badass of the week

Interesting site, filled with, well, bas asses.  Guys like Simo Häyhä:
Now when you think of Finland, the phrase "military powerhouse" isn't exactly the first thing that pops into your head.  Likewise, when you looked at Simo Häyhä, a slight-framed Finnish farmer who didn't stand an inch over five feet tall, you also probably didn't think "total fucking unstoppable badass".  Well let's just say that first impressions can be deceiving.

Simo was a member of a Finnish organization roughly equivalent to the minutemen of the American Revolution.  He had done his state-mandated one-year term in the Finnish Army, reaching the rank of corporal, and was living a peaceful life in a farming village not far from the Russian border, spending his days farming, hunting, and crushing giant logs into sawdust with his bare hands.  When the Soviets crossed the border into Finland with the expressed purpose of busting Finnish heads, Simo was called up into service.  He went out to the wood shed behind his house, grabbed his old-school Russian-made Mosin-Nagant M28/30 rifle and headed out to take some commies behind a proverbial woodshed of his own.
Anyone who gets artillery strikes called down on him personally is bad ass.  The rest is even better.  All I can say is that the best shot that I've ever met in person is from Finland (hi, Sami!).  He's pretty bad ass, too.

8 comments:

Dave H said...

Another entry on the site - one that also involves a Mosin-Nagant - is that of Lyudmila Pavlichenko, the most prolific female sniper in history.

I think that rifle needs its own Badass of the Week entry.

RabidAlien said...

Heh. Been reading badassoftheweek.com for quite some time now. His history is usually pretty accurate (sometimes contains errors, but I can forgive them as they're small and the site is massively entertaining), and I've expanded my vocabulary quite a bit since I was first pointed in that direction. I'm very fond of the phrase "turdburger", thanks to BAotW!

Brad_in_IL said...

Dave H.,

As a Jew, I hold a special place in my heart for anyone, man, woman, or child, who whacks NAZI bastards with extreme prejudice. For this reason, my 91/30 Mosin Nagant is named The Lovely and Deadly Miss Lyudmila.

Brad

AnarchAngel said...

Finland... Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid

Dave H said...

Brad: That was you? I remember JayG talked about someone who had named his M-N in her honor. You, sir, have fine taste.

Rabbit said...

My mom's late husband worked for a company owned by the Suomi government. Frequently had their management over to the house for dinner (and always drinks). Great folks; I even taught myself Finnish in order to get to know them better. I don't care for their national politics, but the people are terrific.

They say you can tell if you're talking with an extroverted Finn if he's looking at YOUR shoes.

Unsolicited advice- don't try to match them drink for drink, ever. Even the women.

Brad_in_IL said...

Dave H.,

Yes, that was indeed me. Lyudmila has also appeared on "Jews Don't Shoot Guns" -- a blog run by conservative Jew in New Jerseystan who is also a competition shooter.

Boat Guy said...

Looked in on "Badass" but anybody who posts a murdering bushwhacker like Ernesto Guevara doesn't rate in my book. I'll pass...