Saturday, April 28, 2012

Jimmie Rodgers - Waiting for a Train

(image source)
The Leftist Elite used to celebrate the working man, and nobody represented that like Jimmie Rodgers.  Born poor as a son of a railroad man, he followed in his father's footsteps.  Hanging out with hobos and brakemen as a teenager, he learned to play guitar and sing.

And he became one of the legends of Country Music.

Music was a side show to Rodgers, who recorded when he could in the 1920s and 1930s.  Sadly, he was stricken with tuberculosis, and died young in 1933.  Just shy of his 36th birthday, be had gone to New York City to make some recordings but was so weakened by his affliction that he joined in death the discoverer of penicillin (no, it's not who you think).  Ironically, the penicillin cure didn't help either against tuberculosis.

But this is music from when Progressives weren't embarrassed by working men, or working men's music.  It would be A Good Thing if they'd learn to appreciate it again.

2 comments:

Bob said...

Well, we don't celebrate Leif Erickson day, either.

Anonymous said...

Hm..so he was around 25 when this video was shot. Did you ever notice that people back then look so old?
I mean they look so drawn and creased. They look like they were put through a wringer and then hung out to dry.
I remember my dad and my uncles when I was younger; I'm 57. They all had come through the depression and WW2. They all had that "old" look about them. Kinda worn out and tired.
I don't think it was a mistaken view from my youthful perspective. I just remember a more "aged" aura about those guys when they got together.

Steve