Saturday, February 18, 2012

Seize the day

... be wise, strain the wine, and scale back your long hopes
to a short period. While we speak, envious time will have already fled
Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future.
- Horace, Odes 1.11
Today we went to the Bat Mitzvah for a friend's daughter.  It wasn't really a first for us - we'd been to their son's Bar Mitzvah a few years back, but it was interesting sitting there not really understanding what was going on.

Because it was obvious what was going on.  Mighty Oaks from little acorns grow, and this was one of those moments where a community stopped to step outside the flow of time.  Her father said something that pretty well summed up the whole experience, telling her to look around at where she was, and who she was with.  That she'll remember this moment for the rest of her life.

Maybe it's because I'm leaving for Austin tomorrow, but these moments of life - hanging out with your neighbors, laughing with your kids, walking the dogs - these moments are ones I cherish.  The danger is to live your life in the future, waiting for that last plan to fall into place to make everything perfect.  Or you can live your life in the past, dwelling on success or failure long past.

But today is here, right now.  It's real.  The boys and I took Ivan the Terrier on a walk down to the park at the Mill dam.  They climbed down the rocks to the stream, laughing and teasing each other as boys do.  I watched, and looked around at where I was.  I thought about who I was with. For a few blessed minutes, I stepped out of the flow of time.

Seize the day.  It's here, right now.  Envious time is fleeing, but I'll remember this for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

SiGraybeard said...

They say "today is all we have" and that's true, but right now is all we really have. We could all be struck by anything at any time. The most horrific moments of life come out of nowhere. The X-ray that has a "suspicious" spot; the lump you suddenly notice, or the car that doesn't turn when it should have. Been through all of those.

So seize the day, sure. But seize the moment. Live deliberately.

RobertSlaughter said...

Wonderful little post. I don't many of us spend enough time stopping long enough to have these types of moments, but they're the moments that matter.

And is that the Roswell Mill Dam?

Borepatch said...

Robert, it sure is. One of my favorite places, not least because #1 Son likes to walk there with me.