Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Stupid Party

Can't argue with any of this:
At this point, the RNC believes that if they could just have Bush, without the "rage" against him; that everything would be perfect.

In Romney, the RNC believes they have their "perfect" guy.

Romney has that same tractability, reliance on advisers and advice, and most of the loyalty to individuals and the organization that Bush had (though not as absolute by any means); without the unfortunate tendency to use the wrong word at the wrong time, or piss people off just by opening his mouth... or for that matter... breathing.

They could not be more wrong...

Oh, they've got the guy they want; and he is exactly that. They're completely right about that part. They're getting exactly what they think they need... Exactly what they want...

The problem is, they want the wrong thing.

They're firmly convinced that so long as they can shape the image, and the message, of the Romney campaign (and later, the Romney administration); and they keep "their guy" on message, they've got a guaranteed winner.

In this, they are DANGEROUSLY incorrect.

What the RNC don't understand, is that the American people don't want, what the Republican machine wants.
I stand by my statement that I will vote for Obama before I vote for Romney.  Chris just lays out the same argument in a different style than I did.  The RNC doesn't get it that I see them as more dangerous than Obama's crowd.

It's like the old Bourbon monarchs, restored to the trefoil throne after the Revolution: they had learned nothing and forgotten nothing.

11 comments:

Bushwack said...

Unfortunately I won't vote for Obama under any circumstances. IF Romney is the GOP guy, I'll hold my nose and pull the lever for him, then throw up when I leave the area....

There's only ONE reason I will do such a thing...SCOTUS.

The nation is a train on a track headed for destruction. It's not as necessary to whip it around and go full speed the other direction as it is to STOP it first. Any candidate on that stage would stop it. And it's doubtful that in another three years they would continue the direction Obama's set.

Our ideal candidate may appear in 2016 if Obama gets elected again, this nation will be unrecognizable. Look at California to see Obama's second term...it's a living example.

ASM826 said...

SORC™

I'm not having any.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I don't vote against candidates. I vote for them. I am not for Obama and won't be voting for him. But if the GOP establishment throws their eight to swing the election for Romney, well... I'm not voting for that liberal Democrat either. Even if he is nicer in person.

Broken Andy said...

"I stand by my statement that I will vote for Obama before I vote for Romney. "

Hold on now! At least give Uncle Ron a little love before you do something hasty.

Borepatch said...

Bushwack and Andy, I lay out my arguments at the link in this post. This isn't a case of pique, but rather a reasoned decision that the country would be better off with 4 more years of Obama than with Romney.

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

"There's only ONE reason I will do such a thing...SCOTUS."

Do you really think Romney's SCOTUS picks would be any better than Obama's? You might want to take another look at him, if that's what you think.

Worse, if the Republicans carry Congress there will be no scrutiny of or opposition to Romney's SCOTUS picks at all. If BO wins, there will at least be some minimal scrutiny and opposition, just on general principles*. We're not likely to derail a nomination either way (though it has happened in the past), but it certainly won't happen if the Repub leadership doesn't even try at all.

I expect the Republicans to keep control of Congress. It's far better to have Congress and the President in opposition than actively cooperating towards the same end, and if Romney wins the nomination I probably will vote for Obama just to try and bring about that scenario.

Someone once said, "I'll vote for a syphilitic camel before I'll vote for Obama." To paraphrase a wise woman's response to that remark: "That's why they keep giving us syphilitic camels!"

* It will be the principle of "He's a Democrat, so we must oppose him," but that's better than nothing.

Paul, Dammit! said...

I can't, in good conscience, vote for any of them. I'm so disappointed that the RNC couldn't field anyone who wasn't a careerist d-bag or fruit loop. The American public is begging for relief, and the RNC doesn't get the fact that pimping out their current bottom bitch is no substitute for seeking out actual talent.

ProudHillbilly said...

I can't vote for Obama - I think my neighbor's 4 year old grandson would be preferable. But the entrenched Republican party still doesn't get what the last election said. Or why I will neither register as a Republican or give the party money.

Anonymous said...

I've said before that trusting Gingrich is like the story of the snake.

A mountain climber discovers a poisenous snake high on a mountain. The snake is nearly frozen and no threat, but the climber has pity and carries him down to warmer climes. As the warmth reaches deep into the snake, he strikes and poisons the mountain climber, who cries in anguish, "Why did it bite me, after I exhibited compassion?" to his his sherpa replied, "You knew it was a poisonous snake, yet you chose to save him, it is what poisonous snakes do!"

Gingrich will say anything to get elected. He has flopped on more issues than Romney, and on items with a much larger stage.

There is little honor in such a man.

Quizikle said...

>Bush Jr< would beat either Romney or Obooma (shudder...)

If Jeb B drops by, the election is over. If Tricky could run, the election would be over.

The Republicans could have a blow-out to rival McGovern...

Instead they're working as hard as they can to assure another - no, the last 4 years of the American Republic under whatzizname.

"O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!"

If Washington allows it...

Q

Rick C said...

"At least give Uncle Ron a little love before you do something hasty."

The crazy guy with the suicidal foreign policy? No thanks.

Oddly, my verification word was "exhipi," which does not describe me.