Friday, September 23, 2011

Tombstone

Mistress At Arms emails to say that she saw my recent post with the clips from the film Tombstone, and that she and her husband visited Tombstone recently, and even found a Lee Enfield Ishapore rifle in a gun store there.  She attached some pictures, which she's kindly let me post.

Tombstone main street - photo credit: Mistress At Arms
Tombstone graveyard - photo credit: Mistress At Arms
Tombstone's chief industry is tourism, which they do with a convincing mix of gusto and camp.  We were there several years ago, and it was really great fun.

Gunfight at the OK Corral - photo credit Borepatch
Gunfight at the OK Corral - photo credit Borepatch
It's well worth a detour if you're in the Phoenix area - just 2 or 3 hours away.  Also only 2 or 3 hours from Phoenix in the other direction is the Grand Canyon, which is worth the journey.

Grand Canyon - photo credit Borepatch
It's a big country, with lots of places that seem strange and even campy.  Some of them are.  It's worth the journey.

4 comments:

Guffaw in AZ said...

Thanks for the kind remarks about my great State! - guffaw

DaddyBear said...

I lived about 20 miles outside of Tombstone, and I loved that area!

Big Nosed Kates is still one of my favorite bars on Earth.

Thanks for bringing back good memories!

Glenn B said...

I really miss southern to souteastern Arizona!

TinCan Assassin said...

I second what Guffaw said. And I'll raise him thus: If you are ever in this neck of the woods again, lt me know, I'd like to have a blog-meet. Maybe even a blog shoot.