Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A scholarship, for young American patriots

This seems very, very worth while.  The VFW is offering a $30,000 scholarship :

WHO CAN ENTER:
The Voice of Democracy Program is open to students in grades 9-12, who are enrolled in a public, private or parochial high school or home study program in the United States and its territories.

HOW TO ENTER:
Students should first draft their essay based on the 2011-2012 theme: "Is There Pride in Serving in Our Military?" Students should then record their reading of the draft to a CD. The recording should be no shorter than 3 minutes and no longer than 5 minutes (plus or minus 5 seconds).

Entries begin at the Post level. Once the student has created their essay and completed burning the audio version to a CD, they should submit their typed version, CD and the Voice of Democracy entry form to their local participating VFW Post no later than November 1, 2011.
Here's my entry: Yes.

Oops, not wordy enough (uncharacteristically for me).

Pass this on to any young 'uns in your patch.

On a related but unrelated note: #2 Son was issued his JROTC uniform today.  Excuse me while I go full-on Proud Dad.

6 comments:

Carteach said...

Passing this on to my students. Thanks.

Old NFO said...

Yep, the VFW does GOOD things!

Southern Belle said...

Congrats on the JROTC for the #2 Son..... that's terrific!

Dirk said...

Great contest! Wish my daughter was old enough to enter it, but I suspect they'll probably continue doing something like this.

What branch of JROTC is #2 son in? And Congrats on that, too. I was in Air Force ROTC for 2 years in college, til they finally got around to doing physicals and I found that my eyesight was too poor to join the military.

doubletrouble said...

Please give my thanks & congratulations to #2!

Borepatch said...

Dirk, it's Army JROTC.