Thursday, September 8, 2011

I didn't think that was possible

Srlsy:
A fire that spread across two thirds of the Alice Springs landfill depot over the weekend is expected to leave a damage bill of over $200,000.
When I was a lad, the town dump burned most of what got, err, dumped there.  The idea that a dump would essentially burn to the ground is a bit of a divide by zero error to me.

And I'm sure that Alice Springs is very nice this time of year, but it's in one of the least inhabited corners of the world.  There should be plenty of room to just, err, dump stuff without buying expensive recycling equipment and everything.

In my day, sonny, the dump was the place to go shoot rats ...

4 comments:

jon spencer said...

And watch the bears.

ASM826 said...

I've done that. I had a .22 and my Granddad had a Garand. A .22 will kill a rat. A Garand will make a rat go esplody.

instinct said...

I'm sure the EPA required that they have tons of unneeded equipment there to make sure that the dump had the least environmental impact, blah, blah blah...

Shy Wolf said...

Of all the rats friends and I shot at the dump, every one we missed ended up in Capitol offices.