Saturday, September 24, 2011

$4000 per minute

Well, plus or minus.  I'm assuming that this is .308.



#2 Son likes this FPS Russia guy.  It looks like he's not the only one: FPS Russia has had something 20 million views on Youtube.  Enough for him to get some fairly serious advertisements (it was a Jeep commercial when I watched; good demographic targeting).

And he's going to need that revenue.  I have no idea where he gets a Minigun, but the ammo he shot off here is probably in the order of $6,000.  Yowzer.

Me, I'm not usually interested in automatic fire unless someone else is paying for my ammo.  And the GAU just dials that up to eleven.

I did wonder watching this how many rounds ricocheted off of the surface of the pond he was shooting them into.  And I hope that we can all agree that Holywood's stupidest firearm scenes involve a hand held minigun.  Forget about carrying the gun; the ammo for it needs a truck.

But it's interesting that some Internet dude seems to be able to make a living doing this sort of thing.  Cool.

6 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Well he can get that down to $3000 if he reloads...

Old NFO said...

Damn it... NJT just caused me to snort coffee all over my heybor3e :-)

Borepatch said...

Man, I wonder how long it would take to reload all that brass.

Angus McThag said...

At least a T-800 could carry the amount of ammo fired...

Goober said...

I'm not sure that even ammo fired would be the limiting factor. I don't know much about these guns, but hand-fired, it seems to me that at that fire rate, the recoil from the bastard would launch a man into orbit. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they compensate for it somehow, but firing a .308 semi-auto rapid fire offhand is enough to knock some men off balance. Imagine 6,000 round per minute!!!

Murphy's Law said...

The recoil goes away as the gun weight goes up. I cannot accurately fire an M-14 full-auto standing off-hand (I've tried) but the heavier M60 poses no problem at all. Don't know what that mini-gun weighs but I'm sure it's quite a bit more than more than 23lbs.