Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Classical - Mozart String Quintet No. 1 in B Flat

Man doesn't live by Country Music alone, and it's a beautiful Sunday morning on the porch here at Camp Borepatch.  I grew up listening to pretty much all kinds of music, but the tradition at our house was that morning was for Classical.

As I grew, I found that my tastes changed.  My first favorite was Beethoven with his great, sweeping, thunderous power.  Later, I came to admire Bach - the mathematical precision is impressive in the same sense as a fine Swiss watch: the idea that such a marvelous device could be made is astonishing.

Mozart never really made much of an impression.  Of course, it was on all the time, but it never really registered, which is a shame.  I've come to the conclusion that Mozart was the bridge between Bach and Beethoven, with one foot in the rigidly structured, mathematically precise baroque, and one foot in the emotionally charged romantic era.  It probably took someone of his artistic genius to pull that tension off - like holding an egg firmly without crushing it.

And so, here's some quietly astonishing music for what I hope is a quietly astonishing Sunday morning for you.

3 comments:

Southern Belle said...

Ah very nice choice, Borepatch. I enjoy classical music.

One of my favorite modern day composers is Hans Zimmer. The sound track from The Davinci Code was amazing.

Guffaw in AZ said...

Mozart, the bridge between Bach and Beethoven.
Simple and Brilliant!
And, I love Bach! I used to follow the music whilst reading the score. Wonderful!
I may have to go watch Amadeus, today!
thx,
gfa

CoolChange©© said...

Very interesting. While my dad stuffed opera down our mouths with Sunday brunch followed by Victory at Sea for Dinner, which I didn't mind, I had a 3rd grade music teacher turn us on to Bach and Aaron Copeland with the shades drawn, screen projector, and a 33and1/3 mono record player. Thanks to her I can very well hear the crossover you are speaking of. I love all three composer that you speak of, but Bach is my favorite.

He was the glam rock composer of his time, but then he could do the love ballads that would make you cry. All without words. Something to think about there!