Wednesday, April 27, 2011

"If you can't yodel in Nashville, Tennessee, we're living in a communist country!"

Southern Belle brings the yodeling, and it's top shelf stuff.  Yeah, I see you looking funny at me - don't make me change my tone here.  This is Dolly Parton, Jewel, and Patsy Montana.  Go watch.

Srlsy.

And it reminded me of this old post, a prime time TV tip o' the hat to Patsy Montana, on the late lamented "Nashville Star" show.  Watch this all the way through to see just how horrified the judges were at hearing yodeling in Nashville.



Phil Vassar (the first judge) was pretty funny about it, but Anastasia Brown was just beside herself.  You can't yodel in Nashville.*

The next week's celebrity judge was Larry the Cable Guy, who made the comment that became the post title:
Last week when they was getting on you for yodeling, I was madder than a one-legged waitress working at the IHOP. If you can't yodel in Nashville, Tennessee, we're living in a communist country!
Yup.  Country Music - love it or leave it!  Heh.

All I can say (other than go read Belle's post) is that I'd pay cash money to hear Belle yodel.  And double money to hear her yodel a duet with Pistolero ...

* GuardDuck in the comments to my old post wins the Internets with this:
"this is Nashville, you can't sing country songs here."

or

Gentlemen, There is No Fighting in the War Room!

4 comments:

Keads said...

Let me know when you want to hear some yodeling. I suggest here: http://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/

My parents are "from around there".

Guffaw in AZ said...

Not so big on the yodelling, but heckfire, it's a free country (so far).
So go ahead.
Love the Dr. Stangelove meme!

Anonymous said...

ROTFLMAO. "I got a feelin' called the bluuuues, oh, Lord, since my baby said goodbye..."

NotClauswitz said...

Having spent some time living in Austria I'm somewhat familiar with Teh Yodeling, and also hearing it repeated on Mexican radio out West here reminds me of the Austrian-Mexican Hapsburg connection via Teh Emperor Maxmillian, and hearing the yodeling across two thousand miles of blue ocean in Hawaiian music reminds me of the Mexican-Hawaiian connection of the Paniolo cowboys on the Parker Ranch, the largest contiguous ranch in the United States with about 480,000 acres of land... Bigger than any ranch in Texas, in fact. :-)
What a ride.