Thursday, April 28, 2011

Happiness is a dirty gun

Ever notice how after you haven't touched a basketball in ages, all the shots you toss near the hoop go in?  I think it's because you're so happy to be back out on the court that you don't fight yourself - you drop into the Zen groove, for the sheer joy of the moment.  Without your brain to outsmart you, suddenly it's nuthin' but net.

It was like that at the range last night.  It had been weeks since I'd been - and with a partially broken in 1911, to boot, which was making Baby Vulcan cry.  Even though it was late, I stopped by the range - it's OK that "It's going to close in half an hour" if you only live ten minutes away.

Time enough for fifty rounds - 7 magazines.  Not a single malfunction.  Pretty good grouping, for me.  It really was a moment of Zen.


If you want to be free,
Get to know your real self.
It has no form, no appearance,
No root, no basis, no abode,
But is lively and buoyant.
It responds with versatile facility,
But its function cannot be located.
Therefore when you look for it,
You become further from it;
When you seek it,
You turn away from it all the more.

- Linji


Nuthin' but net.

5 comments:

Tango Juliet said...

Good shootin'!

NotClauswitz said...

Have you found a means of carry yet?

Ken said...

Ever notice how after you haven't touched a basketball in ages, all the shots you toss near the hoop go in?

Uh...I usually dent the front of the rim until I get loose. :-)

Borepatch said...

DirtCrashr, I have my permit. I need to get a good holster.

GuardDuck said...

I need to get a good holster.

Which means three years from now you'll have one good holster you use 90% of the time. Two more that are ok and split use the other 10% of the time. And about a dozen thrown in a box and waiting for some sucker to take the stupid things off your hands.