Friday, February 4, 2011

Friday Follies

There's a cornucopia of folly for you, today.  Allow me to offer up the bleeding turkeys for your enjoyment.

Harvard Law professor says the Fed.Gov can make you buy what they want you to

And since it's Harvard Law, you know that it's wicked smart.  Wicked, wicked, wicked smaht:
Prof. Fried: Yes. We hear that quite a lot.  It was put by Judge Vinson, and I think it was put by Professor Barnett in terms of eating your vegetables, and for reasons I set out in my testimony, that would be a violation of the 5th and the 14th Amendment, to force you to eat something. But to force you to pay for something? I don’t see why not.  It may not be a good idea, but I don’t see why it’s unconstitutional.
Glad they can make me eat it, though.  Neener neener.

"Smart" Diplomacy seizes Spanish Internet domain
Man, it sure is nice that we don't have Chimpy McHitlerburton telling the rest of the world to get their own danged Internet. Oh, wait:
It appears that Homeland Security's Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) division, and their incredibly sloppy domain seizure operations, have moved on to the next phase -- as was promised by both ICE boss, John Morton, and IP Enforcement Coordinator, Victoria Espinel. The timing on this one is particularly bizarre -- and politically stupid.

That's because the the domain seizure is for the Spanish streaming site Rojadirecta. Yes, ICE seized the domain name of a foreign company. And it gets worse. Rojadirecta is not just some fly-by-night operation run out of someone's basement or something. It's run by a legitimate company in Spain, and the site's legality has been tested in the Spanish courts... and the site was declared legal. The court noted that since Rojadirecta does not host any material itself, it does not infringe.

So, a full-on trial and legal process that took three years in a foreign country, and involved a series of appeals leading to a final judgment.... all totally ignored by a bunch of US customs agents.
Philosopher Kings, right there.

Meghan McCain: The Rich Man's Snooki

Ouch.

How not to dispose of live hand grenades

San Francisco Po-Po bomb disposal robot drops, runs over grenade.



EPA to regulate drinking water

I guess that the air you breathe isn't enough:
Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa Jackson told a Senate panel that preventing children from being exposed to contaminated water could spare them from autism.
Jackson made the remark on Wednesday at a hearing of the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works in response to questioning by Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), who asked if a recent executive order by President Barack Obama about regulations and the regulatory process means that the EPA can put any rules in place if “the benefits outweigh the costs.”
It's for teh childrens!  And so, a musical love song from EPA Commissioner Jackson to America:



I'll Be There For You (Songwriters: Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora)
I guess this time you're really leaving
I heard your suitcase say goodbye
Well as my broken heart lies bleeding
You say true love is suicide
You say you've cried a thousand rivers
And now you're swimming for the shore
You left me drowning in my tears
And you won't save me anymore
I'm praying to God you'll give me one more chance girl

I'll be there for you, these five words I swear to you
When you breathe, I wanna be the air for you
I'll be there for you
I'd live and I'd die for you
I'd steal the sun from the sky for you
Words can't say what love can do
I'll be there for you

I know you know we've had some good times
Now they have their own hiding place
Well I can promise you tomorrow
But I can't buy back yesterday
And baby you know my hands are dirty
But I wanted to be your Valentine
I'll be the water when you get thirsty baby
When you get drunk, I'll be the wine

I'll be there for you, these five words I swear to you
When you breathe I wanna be the air for you
I'll be there for you
I'd live and I'd die for you
I'd steal the sun from the sky for you
Words can't say what love can do
I'll be there for you

I wasn't there when you were happy
And I wasn't there when you were down
Didn't mean to miss your birthday baby
I wish I'd seen you blow those candles out

I'll be there for you, these five words I swear to you
When you breathe I wanna be the air for you
I'll be there for you
I'd live and I'd die for you
I'd steal the sun from the sky for you
Words can't say what love can do
I'll be there for ...

I'll be there for you, these five words I swear to you
When you breathe I wanna be the air for you
I'll be there for you
I'd live and I'd die for you
I'd steal the sun from the sky for you
Words can't say what love can do
I'll be there for you ...

4 comments:

SiGraybeard said...

I was doing great with you until the Bon Jovi song. You could scratch that and improve it to me, but I'll freely admit I don't really like his music. And your comment after Prof. Fried looks like it should say, "...can't make me eat..."

Joe said...

Last I checked no one knew exactly what caused autism. First it was vaccines, now it's water. Of course, why let facts get in the way?

bradley13 said...

Homeland Security has siezed a bunch of domain names that link to "unwanted" content. As usual, the explanation is to follow the money. These domain names are ones that might have contained links to Superbowl content that the NFL might disapprove of. By the time they manage to complain, the Superbowl will be over. Screw due process, there are bribes to be had!

Anonymous said...

eating your vegetables

You know the best way to eat okra, and squash, for that matter? AND green tomatoes? FRIED. The more oil the better!