Friday, October 15, 2010

Aretae saves your marriage

Yes, yours (assuming that you're married).  He offers up some questions that might be posed in front of you and your lovely spouse, and gives you the absolute, positive Right Thing To Do that will keep you from sleeping on the sofa (or ladies, to keep you from kicking his sorry butt out to the sofa).

I'm not going to give any of it away - you'll have to RTWT, and then click through to his recommended link and RTWT there, too, but I'll give him quote of the day as to why smart people get themselves into trouble this way:
Why are smart folks considered subversive? In short because most of them are socially retarded in that they don't have the ability to turn off the brain and accept the standard answer, once a question has been highlighted. And if you're actually considering a question, there's real good odds you won't reach the "correct" conclusion. Therefore smart folks are almost always correctly considered dangerous to the social fabric.
Probably right.

Man, those are some righteous minefields, right there.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Given my scores on various "standardized tests", I qualify as "smart". However, having been in sales for over 30 years, I am pretty quick on my mental/verbal feet. I can smell a trick or trap question from a fair distance, and either finesse it or make a joke of it. And some things, like betraying a friend (that includes my best friend, aka my wife), are not on the table for any price I can currently conceive.

the pistolero said...

And some things, like betraying a friend (that includes my best friend, aka my wife), are not on the table for any price I can currently conceive.

So you pondered the question, eh? ;-)

Borepatch said...

Pistolero, you've seen me post her targets after a trip to the range. I'm terrified. ;-)

Six said...

Lu and I have been married for 32 years now and have learned to leave the minefield questions unasked. If you don't want to hear the answer don't ask the question.