Saturday, September 4, 2010

Dolly Parton and friends

I've been a bad blogger, going for two whole years of Country Music posts before mentioning Dolly Parton. I've also been a bad blogger by not mentioning that Dolly sings with everyone. And by "sings with everyone", I mean "makes multi-platinum selling albums that win Grammys" with everyone.

OK, maybe only with Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt. "Only". As in only sold four million albums.

Usually, I offer up some background in these posts, but c'mon - this is Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, and Linda Ronstadt. You need an invitation or something? Trio hit #1 for six weeks on the Billboard Country charts, and hit #6 on Billboard Everything charts. This song was from their second album, Trio II. It "only" got to #6 on the Country charts.

Won another Grammy, though. Yowzer.



High Sierra (Songwriter: Harley Allen)
I've been higher than the high sierra
Lower than Death Valley must be
I've been right, mostly wrong
Wrong about you, right about me

The way I feel, can't explain
So much passion turned to pain
The sun still shines most of the time
Did you know the sun shines when it rains

I've been higher than the high sierra
Lower than Death Valley must be
I've been right, mostly wrong
Wrong about you, right about me

I've been cussed and I've been praised
And I've been nothing these days
But I'll come back, time will see
If I'm wrong about you, right about me

I've been higher than the high sierra
Lower than Death Valley must be
I've been right, mostly wrong
Wrong about you, right about me
And what's better than a trio? A quartet - especially if it's Dolly Parton, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Tanya Tucker, and Kathy Mattea, with 1990s hair, joined by Billy Ray Cyrus (with 1990s hair). Yeah, baby! (you have to watch this one all the way to the end for the last line)



You're welcome.

No comments: