Saturday, July 17, 2010

SheDaisy - Come Home Soon

Country Music is about the human experience. It's said that most songs are about something that's happened to you, or to someone you know.

I've traveled quite a lot in my career, and life on the road is no picnic. What I didn't see - or at best only saw darkly, through the glass - was what it was like for my family left at home while I was gone.

It's given me a glimpse - observed only fleetingly - of what it must be like for our Military Families who have loved ones gone for a year. The empty bed at night. The dishwasher run less than normal. The too-neat house.

SheDaisy writes and sings their own songs, frequently with a family theme (not surprising when you consider that the group members are sisters). Their 2004 song Come Home Soon captures the feeling of incompleteness we feel when our family is gone.



Come Home Soon
(Songwriters: Kristyn Osborn, John Shanks)
I put away the groceries
And I take my daily bread
I dream of your arms around me
As I tuck the kids in bed

I don't know what you're doin'
And I don't know where you are
But I look up at that great big sky and I
hope you're wishin' on that same bright star

I....... wonder

I....... pray

And I sleep alone
And I cry alone
And it's so hard livin' here on my own
So please.... Come home soon....
Come home soon....

I know that we're together
Even though we're far apart
And I wear our lucky penny
Around my neck pressed to my heart

(and) I....... wonder

I....... pray

I sleep alone
I cry alone
And it's so hard livin' here on my own
So please.... Come home soon....

I still imagine your touch
It's beautiful missing something that much
But sometimes love needs a fighting chance
So I'll wait my turn until it's our turn to dance

I....... wonder

I....... pray

I sleep alone
I cry alone
Without you this house is not a home
So please.... (Come home soon)....

I walk alone
I try alone
And I'll wait, for I don't want to die alone

So please.... Come home soon....

Come home soon....

Come home soon....
#1 Son and I are doing just fine, and it's good every once and a while to miss the others. But this weekend, take a moment to think on the families of our troops - especially our own Greg Morris and Albert Rasch - who are missing them for a lot longer than a week. The sacrifice they make for us is almost - almost - beyond comprehension, and it's one for which I am inexpressibly grateful.

1 comment:

Albert A Rasch said...

Thanks for the sentiment BP.

I ask that everyone just take a moment and consider the souls lost to 9/11, and the ones we continue to lose as this necessary war grinds on.

When you meet a Soldier, Sailor, Airman, or Marine, thank them. They may not look or act like the military of our fathers, but they live and die the same as they did. We owe them a debt of gratitude; remember that.

Bets regards!
Albert "I woke up in Afghanistan again!" Rasch