Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Canadian government incompetent or "not nice"? You decide.

Canadians pride themselves on being nicer than us grouchy Americans. Whatever.* So how do you classify this:
LAVAL, Que. – A mother and a daycare teacher tried desperately to free a 15-month-old baby boy from a locked car in the scorching heat Monday after emergency services refused to send help.
The mom accidentally locked her keys and her kid in the car, on what was one of the hottest days of the year. Understandably concerned for the child's safety, she called 911:
“The operator told me that for them, this wasn’t an emergency, that they don’t send the police for this,” the teacher explained.
Ooooh kaaaay. The question, then, is from whence comes this inexplicable behavior on the part of CA.Gov officials? Is it incompetence that puts toddlers at risk of death? Or are they miserable human beings, despite their lofty opinion of their "niceness"?

(via)

*I'd tell you what I really think of this attitude, but I'm too nice.

6 comments:

Divemedic said...

I get 2 or 3 calls for children locked in vehicles every week(we call them lockouts), and sometimes we even get pets locked in vehicles.

My primary response area is not even that large- it only covers 4 square miles, and contains about 12,000 people. The majority of these happen at the shopping mall.

Imagine how many lockouts are being ignored in Canada.

Lissa said...

When the government is responsible for everything, then people are responsible for nothing.

Eagle said...

This happened in Quebec.

The mother's quote was in English.

I guess she should have been speaking French. Maybe that would have gotten her the help she needed... from a local government agency... in a French-speaking province...

... naah. Ignoring a mother's plea to help her child couldn't be due to something as simple as linguistic prejudice, could it?

OTOH, I have never visited Paris... nor do I have any desire to.

ASM826 said...

Is this a vehicle that has bulletproof lexan windows? Otherwise, exactly what is the problem? Pick the side window furthest from the child, and...voila.

Rick C said...

I'm torn here. 911 treated her shabbily, but...do what you wound up doing, and break a window. Don't you value your baby's health?

genedunn said...

I'm kind of on the fence. Couldn't she have called a 24x7 "emergency" locksmith? Or broken the window? This seems to be a problem I could solve on my own without freaking out and calling the government to come help me.