Sunday, May 9, 2010

Range Report - FN P-9

#1 Son accompanied me to the range yesterday, and practiced his photography-fu. They had a pistol in their display case that I'd never shot before, the Fabrique Nationale P-9 semiautomatic in 9mm.


Shown next to quarter and penny for size perspective. The P-9 is a more or less basic semiautomatic, reminiscent of a SIG. Large Standard capacity magazine shown, because we were shooting in the United States of America (New Hampshire subdivision), rather than the People's Republic of Massachusetts.


It's a handy pistol with a solid, reliable feel to it. The sights are excellent - square black front post with white dot matched with square black rear posts with white dots made aligning on target quick and accurate.


My groupings were decent for me - 3" to 4" groups at 30 feet. Regular readers know that my marksmanship is modest, and this pistol is certainly more accurate than I am. I expect that if I shot it regularly, I'd be able to tighten things up considerably.


I'm right handed, but not everyone is; the safety can be worked from either side, which seems pretty handy for southpaws.


One feature that I found a little jarring was the de-cocking lever, which was combined with the safety. Up for safe, down for fire, down even more to de-cock the hammer. This seemed a bit counter-intuitive to me, but I guess that this would keep you from de-cocking when you made the gun safe. On the other hand, it seems like you might de-cock when you were ready to shoot, which seems worse. It's not like this was hard or anything, just that it seemed different than I expected. Your mileage may vary.


Since this is New England, no ride home from the range is complete without Moxie. Not only caffeinated and refreshing, but Green, too: I'm given to understand that it's made with Coal Tar, so you're helping to clean up America. Well done, you!

7 comments:

Paul, Dammit! said...

My understanding is that Moxie is also made with bone meal and Earwig scrapings.

MedicMatthew said...

I don't know what it is made from, but I do know that it tastes like cough medicine and it certainly is not the greatest thing to come out of the State of Maine. I can never bring myself to drink more than a sip or two of that stuff before I'm ready to pour it down the drain.

Paladin said...

FNP9 Rocks! Its the gun I'm holding in my current blog banner, and my (current) favorite gun to shoot at the range. I'd carry it daily if we had open carry in Texas. Its a bit big for concealed carry, at least in Texas summers.

Lissa said...

Wow - those are some really pretty photos!!

Dragon said...

MOXIE!!!

OMG! I positively LOVE the stuff!

Every time my brother (who lives in NH) comes back homewards for a visit, he brings me a few 12 packs.

The stuff is pure AWESOME! Especially mixed with Yager... :-)

elmo iscariot said...

I'm visiting Maine in a month, and am looking forward to trying Moxie. What better to compliment our whole contemporary Great Depression vibe? ;)

mdmnm said...

The FNP-9 is a pretty nice pistol. One feature that you probably didn't get to try is that it comes with interchangeable backstraps, which can alter the grip a bit for different sized hands. The safety/decocker is a bit odd, but not that hard to get used to if you just treat it as a decocker and leave the hammer down with a round in the chamber for a double-action first shot.