Friday, May 21, 2010

Calling all current and former Law Enforcement Officers

I know that some of you are current or former L.E. (hi, Wofat!), and may be interested in this. I was pinged by a couple of guys from Stanford who have invented a device they hope will make the current duty belt more comfortable. As they put it:
During our graduate studies, we have done extensive research and design work with local police officers. We have created a device which, in testing, has greatly enhanced the comfort and ergonomics of the standard duty belt. We have been fielding prototypes for the past 6 months in Bay Area departments with extremely favorable results. (Every officer who has tried the device has committed to buy it.)

The device has a very small physical and visual footprint, and it was designed to be fully compatible with all the standard duty gear. It does not compromise the officer's safety or professional appearance.


As part of the process of finalizing the design, we're trying to expose the product to a broad cross-section of officers and use cases. The device has recently been deployed with patrol and SWAT officers from San Mateo County Sheriff, Stanford PD, Santa Clara County Sheriff, Menlo Park PD, and CHP.

This product resolves the serious back pain issues that most police officers are facing due to their heavy duty gear. We would therefore be very interested in having you review our product and help us promote it to the police community.
Now I've never worn a duty belt, and so wouldn't know whether their device works or not. But some of you do (or did), and would.

If anyone who's a current or former L.E.O. wants to give it a try in return for a product review to be posted here, send me an email, and I'll arrange for one of these to be shipped to you.

And a memo to the Federal Trade Commission: kiss my grits. All I'll get out of this is someone else to write my blog for me. Heh.

UPDATE 22 May 11:00: We have some volunteers. Thanks, guys!

3 comments:

WoFat said...

I'm quite happy that my gun-belt days, as well as the shoulder holster, are gone forever. My new motto: 'Hey! Somebody call a cop!'

GuardDuck said...

My duty belt days are also mostly behind me, but that contraption does look interesting. Looking forward to the reviews.

MedicMatthew said...

Any chance there would be any interest in a review by a paramedic with back problems who wears a duty belt?