Sunday, April 11, 2010

12 Million Ubuntu users?

If these numbers are correct (and they seem pretty fuzzy), the number of Ubuntu is growing by around 50% a year:

"We have no phone home or registration process, so it's always a guesstimate. But based on the same methodology that we came up with for the 2008 number, our present belief is that it's somewhere north of 12 million users at the moment," Chris Kenyon, vice president for OEM at Canonical, told InternetNews.com

In contrast, as of March 29, Red Hat's Fedora Linux was reporting usage of its Linux distribution at approximately 24 million installations.

Red Hat is the most popular corporate version of Linux. I used to use it myself, but found it required more tweaking than I was willing to do. Not that I couldn't figure it out, but as I got older, I got lazier (regarding technical futzing around), and just wasn't as interested. Ubuntu is dead easy, and takes almost no care and feeding.

4 comments:

DaddyBear said...

I run the latest version of Fedora at home, but that's mostly because we use RHEL at work. I get a few months advance practice playing with RHEL since Fedora is their test bed.

bluesun said...

The next time I get a new computer I am planning on installing linux of some sort on this one. For now though, I am pretty happy with Vista and don't want to mess with it.

Anonymous said...

If I didn't have a few apps that are native to Windows and essential, I wouldn't have bought win7 at all.

Jim

Divemedic said...

Doesn't that mean that Linux will not be safe from hackers and virus creators for much longer? As market share grows, so do the odds the someone will target you.