Saturday, January 16, 2010

Toby Keith - How Do You Like Me Now?

Nobody likes to be taken for granted. Especially by someone who thinks that they're better than you.

It might make a person wish for a come-uppance, or something. Fortunately, Country music has a song for that, from Toby Keith.

There's a seismic shift happening under our feet in this country. People are waking up to the realization that the "Smart Set" thinks that they're better (and smarter) than we are, and so are fit to rule over us.

Taken for granted. And nobody is more taken for granted than the voters of Massachusetts by the Democratic party. The party has put up an arrogant, out of touch, dumb as a rock candidate for the Senate special election. And suddenly the ground shifts, as the electorate takes a serious look at someone who's working for their vote, not expecting it as a matter of course.

This Saturday Redneck is dedicated to Martha Coakley and the Massachusetts Democratic party, who have been sleepwalking past the voters. Scott Brown may not win on Tuesday, but welcome to a new revolution:
Alarm clock starts ringing
Who could that be singing
Its me baby, with your wake up call!




How Do You Like Me Now (songwriters: Toby Keith, Chuck Cannon)
I was always the crazy one
I broke into the stadium
And I wrote your number on the 50 yard line
You were always the perfect one
And the valedictorian so
Under your number I wrote "call for a good time"

I only wanted to catch your attention
But you overlooked me somehow
Besides you had too many boyfriends to mention
And I played my guitar too loud.

How do you like me now?
How do you like me now,
Now that I'm on my way?
Do you still think I'm crazy
Standing here today?
I couldn't make you love me
But I always dreamed about living in your radio
How do you like me now?

When I took off to Tennessee
I heard that you made fun of me
Never imagined I'd make it this far
Then you married into money girl
Aint it a cruel and funny world?
He took your dreams and tore them apart.

He never comes home
And you're always alone
And your kids hear you crying down the hall
Alarm clock starts ringing
Who could that be singing
Its me baby, with your wake up call!

How do you like me now?
How do you like me now,
Now that I'm on my way?
Do you still think I'm crazy
Standing here today?
I couldn't make you love me
But I always dreamed about living in your radio
How do you like me now?

2 comments:

Jay G said...

This is one of my very favoritest songs in the entire world...

Home on the Range said...

I loved that. I skipped a couple of grades (nerd alert) was shy and wore braces and usually had a bad haircut as my Mom had died when I was young. Guys in high school ignored me. Later, I got rid of the braces, grew out the long red hair, and got a couple degrees and a job as a jet jock for Uncle Sam. Let's just say I was a little more interesting at the reunion and I ignored all of them. My ex band friends were all doctors and engineers or computer geniuses it seemed and I had a BLAST talking to them.