Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cigarettes, whiskey and wild, wild women

That's what Henry Allingham said was the secret to his longevity. The oldest World War I veteran has passed on at age 113.



But rather than end on such a somber note, let me point this out about (via the Daily Telegraph):
His life has spanned three centuries and six monarchs, has five grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren, 14 great-great grandchildren and one great-great-great grandchild.
And anyone who is a founding member of the Royal Airforce but can still quote Buck Owens correctly in context is all right with me. As you reach out and touch the face of God, let us give you a proper musical sendoff.

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA


Thank you for your service, sir, and rest in peace.

Hat tip: Don Surber.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may be trite, but I am glad that such men have lived.

Jim

Paladin said...

I've been reading and smiling about this Old Gent off and on all day. My favorite quote from an article in the Guardian:

He and his wife, Dorothy, were together for more than 50 years. "I've only ever kissed one girl: my Dorothy," he said. "We met in 1915 and married in 1918. She died in 1970.

That's Devotion.

Borepatch said...

reflectoscope, amen.

Paladin, I hadn't seen that. That's a Real Man.