Wednesday, May 27, 2009

How often is "getting to the range enough"?

In the chat during last night's Gun Nuts Radio, someone posed the question: what does it mean to get to the range enough? How often do you think you should go to get as good as you want?

I'd like to repeatably get thumb-sized groupings at 25 feet for slow fire, and palm sized groups at 25 feet for quick fire.

I only got into shooting three years ago. Not counting the few dozen trigger pulls as a kid, plinking with my friends, I have fewer than 2000 rounds sent down range. Not a lot, and certainly not enough to become more than - at best - a passable shot.

Now it's quite a hike to get to the range. Since it's a production to get there, I don't go often. One result is that I don't shoot much .22. When a man has a hankering for Recoil Therapy, he's looking for a little more therapy than a .22 will serve up, if you know what I mean.

Ideally, I'd go twice a month, a hundred rounds a session, 2500 a year or so. Combined with the Airsoft 1911 in the basement for recoil-less practice (perhaps 1000 trigger pulls a month), this might almost be enough.

3 comments:

ASM826 said...

I loaded up another couple hundred of those cast beauties you saw here and went to the range last weekend. Monday, late in the afternoon, I set up the lead pot and cast a few hundred more. As long as I don't run out of primers, I can continue to afford this hobby.

By the way,frucrat is the CAPTCHA. Sounds like a nickname for a noisy rodent that breeds when you are trying to sleep.

Eagle said...

Riley's was out of 9mm FMJ when I was there last week. Out. As in NONE. Same with .45 FMJ. Plenty of .40, but I don't have one.

I'll go plinking again when I know that I'm not reducing my stock.

Jay G said...

Err, give a yell anytime you want to go. I'm always up for chaperoning you at the range.

And you haven't shot my S&W Model 629 .44 Magnum yet...

Or the Snubbie from Hell™

Heh.