Saturday, April 18, 2009

Johnny and June Carter Cash - Ring of Fire

Hotter than a pepper sprout.

Johnny Cash needs no introduction, even to people who don't listen to Country. His is old school Country, with simple arrangements and not much in the way of electrified Rock 'n Roll. But he loved his wife with a flame so bright that when she finally burned out at 73, so did he.

Shortly after her death in 2003, and very ill, he made a surprise appearance at a concert. Just before singing "Ring of Fire" one last time, he talked to the audience about June:
The spirit of June Carter overshadows me tonight with the love she had for me and the love I have for her. We connect somewhere between here and heaven. She came down for a short visit, I guess, from heaven to visit with me tonight to give me courage and inspiration like she always has.
He died two months later, heartbroken.

Some people might think that this is a sad story, but I think that it's a triumph of the spirit. That a man could find - and keep - a woman like that: a friend, a lover; through good times and bad. I couldn't really ask for more, myself.

My friend Lissa is getting married today, to a fine young man who doesn't look like he has the outlaw image and drug trouble that Cash had. But still, I hope that their life together has that same burning that Johnny and June captured, and lived, and loved.



Ring of Fire (June Carter, Merle Kilgore)
Love is a burning thing
and it makes a firery ring
bound by wild desire
I fell in to a ring of fire...

I fell in to a burning ring of fire
I went down,down,down
and the flames went higher.
And it burns,burns,burns
the ring of fire
the ring of fire.

The taste of love is sweet
when hearts like our's meet
I fell for you like a child
oh, but the fire went wild.


UPDATE 6 June 2009 18:24: Welcome visitors who found this via Google Images. I have another Johnny Cash post about his cover of Nine Inch Nail's Hurt. I also have a bunch of country music posts for other artists. It's a weekly thing, so if you like this sort of thing, stop back on Saturdays. Or more often, even!

7 comments:

Lissa said...

Thank you so much, BorePatch!

Borepatch said...

Congratulations, Lissa.

Anonymous said...

I must comment upon your interpretation of their relationship and say that i completely agree, their love inspires me to hold on to my love and the friend that I've found to stay beside and nurture.

an excellent post, thanx!

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm a 31 year old man that is is madly in love with a woman that is unhapply married. We were together for about a year but she is from another contry so in order for her to stay in the usa she has had to move back in with her hubby. the story of june and johnny keeps my hopes up in the fact that true love can make it through anything. I love her with all my heart and I truely believe that if i (like johnny) always am there for her and show her I love her no matter what that we will be together again someday. I'm not sure why I am telling this story. I guess reading your post and thinking about johnny and junes love just makes me think. And she was married to another man while johnny waited and loved her anyways. I just hope I get the happy ending they did. Thanks for letting me share my feelings.

Anonymous said...

I never knew who this old man was when I first saw his song (hurt) back in 2003, he was introduced as an outlaw with a past record of drug addiction and depression, later on when i been through the "ring of fire" I began to know more abt him. June and Johnny singing together gives me hope that no matter what doo doo happens in ur relation ship love never dies it just gets lost somewhere and its up to u to find it and live with it and u find yourself happiest man on earth. I fell in love with a woman 5 years back we been together for 3 years and then we parted ways due to all the doo doo in our relationship. Now she is back (as just friends) after 2 years of my struggle. When ever I see them I get hope that yes we can fix our relation with love that is a powerful ingredient to restore and rebuild ourselves. pray for me guys :)

Anonymous said...

Johnny's unwavering "Love & Devotion" for June and the legacy of their love... is a cartoon in comparison, to my marriage.
The first time my Husband an I met, or shall I say, "seen each other" (because we never uttered a word to each other) was when we were 13 years old. It was at a "New Years Eve party", and I was living in N.C. and he was from PA., his family was down visiting his Aunt; who also happened to be friends with the person that was throwing the party. We didn't see each other again, until we were 20, I recognized him immediately! Unfortunately, he didn't recognize me as quick as I was hoping, that he would. This time, I was in "his" hometown of PA., and it was at my cousin's Sweet 16 Birthday Party

Lovely said...

Well said. They are truly an inspirational couple.