Monday, April 27, 2009

I got a pair of dice swinging in my Detroit Casket

Right next to Pontiac:
Let's see. They still have Buick, GMC, Hummer, and Saab to jettison and then they might have a chance. At the very least, kill Buick and GMC. There is simply no reason for these brands to exist anymore. Even by letting Pontiac die - and it's about 15 years too late in coming - they're not cutting deep enough. They're still clinging to the namesakes of a bygone era in the hopes of roping in folks who remember "back in the day".
As GM dies a piece at a time, here's a tribute to a world class flameout.



Drive Like Lightning (Crash Like Thunder)
I'm gonna take my baby
On a little joy ride
She'll be ghost-white pale
Sittin' by my side
Shakin' like a leaf
And it ain't no wonder
Drive like lightning
Crash like thunder

I'm gonna race with the devil
Speedin' down the track
And if he beats me to the line
I ain't a-comin' back
You ain't worth nothin'
When your six feet under
Drive like lightning
Crash like thunder

Drive like lightning
Crash like thunder
Ain't worth nothin'
When your six feet under
All wrapped up
In hot chrome and steel
Drag my body
Behind the wheel

Got a pair of dice swingin'
In my Detroit casket
I got a rabbit foot hangin'
From my black leather jacket
We won't get out alive
So it ain't no wonder
Drive like lightning
Crash like thunder

Baby please try to understand
I'm just a little speck of dust
Blowin' in the sand
We won't get out alive
So why should we wonder
Drive like lightning
Crash like thunder
UPDATE 27 April 2009 22:15: Random Acts of Patriotism has a musical tribute of his own.

3 comments:

MaddMedic said...

Pontiac and Buick are the best of GM Chevies suck....Now lets see how fast they plummet!! And who Obama fires!!

none said...

I wondered twenty years ago how GM could sell the exact same car badged 5 different ways and make money.

Tam said...

And now I know I'm getting old, because once upon a time, I'd have thought that video was awesome, and now I just cringe watching a '68 Charger and a '70 Challenger get battered to scrap...

Y'know, I once used the front right fender of my '73 Dart 340 Sport to nudge a dumpster down a hill behind a Kroger... Sigh... It was just an old car back then.