Monday, February 9, 2009

Will Ferrell does not support the troops

Well, he does when they can be a straight man for him. His new on-man Broadway play is sold out while he uses them for cheap gags:
... near the end of the show things turn tasteless as well. Ferrell/Bush asks the audience for a moment of silence to honor our troops who died in Iraq and Afghanistan. At the performance I saw, most of the audience members went silent but a few tittered nervously. Who can blame them? This is a comedy show. They were expecting a gag, and they soon got one.

After a few seconds of silence a phone on the stage rings, and everyone laughs. The relief is palpable. Hurrah! That thing about honoring our war dead? It really was just the setup to a joke!

Ferrell/Bush is startled by the noise too, because he's already told us that the phone is just a prop that isn't connected to anything. He picks up the phone, listens for a second and says, "I didn't know 'Annie Get Your Gun' is playing! I love Tom Wopat too!" Then he tells the audience that he was afraid God was calling him on the phone. "Swear to God - I thought I was having a heart attack in my butt hole!"
Cheap laughs at the expense of men and women who have given everything for their country. Stay classy, Will.

Hat tip, Don Surber.

2 comments:

Jay G said...

Like I said in my 25 things, least funny human on the planet.

And now I can add to that description: "For whom I would not brake were he crossing the street".

NotClauswitz said...

Hockey stick him.