Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Violent video games linked to breast feeding

Really.

Of course, it's exactly what you'd think - correlation is not causation, combined with more than a little tongue-in-cheek.
Today I decided to conduct an experiment. I started calling people I knew, and I asked if they had one or more video games in the house. Then I asked if they breast-fed their children. To my great shock, most answered "yes" to both. One couple I contacted switched to formula after their child's birth, and told me that they didn't play video games. The data, based on my first round of calls, was conclusive: if you play video games, you are much more likely to breast-feed your children.
Just remember this the next time someone tells you that you're 43 times more likely to shoot your kids than a home invader.

The moral? It your data and methodology are suspect, so are your conclusions. In other news, it snows in New England in the winter.

And yes, there really is actual research on the subject of video games and violence in kids. You'll never guess what it says.

No comments: