Saturday, February 7, 2009

European Rednecks

When dealing with Americans, Europeans sometimes seem to show their sophistication with the eurosneer. Guaranteed to wilt an east-coast liberal (although admittedly they aren't exactly forged from iron).

It doesn't work on me anymore. I've lived in Europe, and know the dirty secret: they're just as redneck as we are. The only difference is that their redneck is aristocratically commissioned. I have proof.

Via Chad Crayton, there's this demonstration of the American form of redneck.

Now I make no secret of my redneck streak, so all I can say is "heh".

So what does this have to do with Europeans? This:


This is the Manneken Pis in Brussels. #2 Son was 2 when we went there, and he thought that this was the
shizzleFlippity Floppity Floop. I had to pry him off the fence and carry him away - shrieking at the top of his lungs - when it was time to leave. I guess he liked it.

So, aristocratically commissioned bronze statue from the 14th century - doesn't sound very redneck. Well, how about this? They dress it up every now and then. They have hundreds of outfits for it.

Still not convinced? They hook it up to a beer keg.

Now, I don't mind gettin' a little redneck on. But the next time someone points his eurosneer in your direction, ask him if he's been to the kegger at the Manneken Pis.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Eurosneer does not work in Texas. That could get you butt kicked here.

I actually would like to see Europe sometime though.

Borepatch said...

Europe is cool, and is worth the trip. Even Paris, where they're happy to spit on you, is a must see.

I like the euros, too. A lot. They're always interesting, usually good folks, and like to shoot (your mileage may vary). I've learned more about America from my experiences with them then from all the civics classes I've taken. It's like having someone hold up a mirror, so you can see things you've never seen about your country.

I don't like the eurosneer. Y'all down there in Lone Star land are hereby given official permission to kick their butt. Just offer to take them shooting first. If they refuse, and sneer, then show 'em how it's done where God Blessed Texas With His Own Hands.

Tam said...

Dude, it's like the epicenter of Brussels, too! Like the Washington Monument in DC or The Big Chicken back home in Marietta.

Borepatch said...

Tam, I expect that this is the first time that the Manekin Pis has been compared with the Big Chicken.

My kids liked that, too.

Tam said...

I lived in snooty East Cobb. We called it le poulet gran. :D