Saturday, November 29, 2008

Borepatch and Linux visitors

I'm kind of surprised to see that 13% of my visitors run Linux. It's actually a little less than that, since I also visit my blog (Quality Control - it's a never ending job) and I run Linux. For years, Linux has been hovering around mid-single-digit market share, so this is 2 or 3 times expected.

Same for Mac, at 14%. Apple has only recently approached 10% share of new systems sold, and overall installed base is likely no more than 7%.

I'm not sure why these OSs are so over-represented.

1 comment:

Antonia - Beauty Health Finance and Green Issues Editor said...

I think a lot of people like the Windows based operating system from the days of Windows 3.1.

When I was younger, we had a BBC computer and I remember playing space invaders on it and pacman (I still love playing pacman) and that computer was so hard and boring to use, you had to know all the dos commands in order to use it.

I think a lot of people like the Windows based environment because of the way it looks and it is what they are used to and of course easy to use.

It's just like with Vista, so many people want to stay with Win XP because they don't know what to expect with Vista, same thing happened with Win 98 etc.

People tend to stick to what they are used to.